Here is how to create a MetaMask desktop wallet via a Chrome extension. You can also use other browsers such as Firefox and Brave. Whatever you choose, it is very important that you only download from the official MetaMask site.
- Go to MetaMask.io
- Click either of the “Download” buttons on the homepage.
- Click “Install MetaMask for Chrome.” You will be automatically taken to the Google Chrome web store.
- Click “Add to Chrome” and add the extension. Once installed, you will be able to view the MetaMask fox head icon in the top right corner of your browser by clicking on the puzzle piece icon.
- Click “Get Started” and choose between importing an existing wallet or setting up a new one. Let’s assume you don’t have an existing wallet and need to create one. Click “Create a Wallet.”
- Once you’ve created your wallet, you will be able to view your seed phrase (the 12 word sequence used to recover and backup your wallet). Remember, this must be hidden and never shared with anyone. Do not take a picture or screenshot of your seed phrase — instead, write it down immediately on a piece of paper and put it in a secret, safe location. Even better, write your seed phrase down on 2-3 pieces of paper and store each paper in a separate secure location (like one in a personal safe and one in a bank safety deposit box). Alternatively, you can download the seed phrase and keep it offline on an encrypted hard drive. Having multiple backups of your seed phrase is good practice just in case one copy is ever lost or destroyed. After documenting your seed phrase, click “Next.”
- Confirm your seed phrase by clicking on the correct words in the correct order of your 12 word sequence and click “Confirm.”
- Click “All Done.”
- Optional – you can leave your new account as “account 1” or choose to rename it.
You can now access your MetaMask wallet via the fox icon in your browser and begin purchasing/receiving crypto and NFT’s!
MetaMask also offers a mobile wallet option for both ios and Android. Here are the steps to use MetaMask on your phone if you’ve already set up the desktop extension:
- Download the MetaMask app to your smartphone (App Store for iPhone or Google Play Store for Android).
- Click “Get Started”
- Click “Sync with MetaMask extension”
- Open your MetaMask desktop extension, go to Settings > Advanced, Click on “Sync with Mobile” and enter your password.
- Using your phone’s camera, scan the QR code to start syncing.
Now you will be able to access your MetaMask account from either your desktop or your phone! If you do not have the desktop extension and wish to create your first MetaMask account on mobile, follow the same steps above, but click “Create a new wallet” instead of “Sync with MetaMask extension.” Then, follow the rest of the prompts to choose your password and see and confirm your seed phrase.